Sh1.1b overseas fees scandal hits students
Central
By
Daniel Chege
| Aug 29, 2025
The victims in the Sh1.1 billion Finland and Canada have informed the court that the programme started facing problems when students from abroad allegedly refused to pay fees.
William Koros, a Chief at the Kiplombe location, testified before Senior Principal Magistrate Peter Ndege that he got information that would allow him to take his daughter, Marion Chemutai, to study nursing in Canada.
Koros said he deposited Sh650,000 on October 26, 2022, to facilitate his daughter’s studies in Canada.
However, after payment, he claimed that the programme faced challenges as the alleged plan for her daughter to travel was delayed.
READ MORE
Britam's half-year profit dips to Sh2.5b despite revenue growth
Cash-hungry KRA now shifts gears to tax digital taxi drivers
Kenya endorses IGAD's new regional pandemic preparedness project
Karen store launch marks Kenya as China's gateway to Africa
Kenya's inflation rate rises to 4.5 per cent in August
Internal auditors moot bill to give profession legal backing
Spark plugs: The unsung heroes of combustion
Why number of pension schemes has dropped
flynas commences direct Riyadh-Nairobi flights
SMEs, startups driving innovation and CSR to shine at 2025 Pacesetters Awards
Koros said that he visited the county government’s offices for information, but he got none.
ALSO READ:Shock as Governor Bii left out of suspect list in foreign scholarship scandal
However, he testified that he was later informed that the money he paid, together with others, was used to pay for students who had already travelled.
“I had it confirmed to me that the students who had travelled faced problems and refused to pay fees, forcing the county government to pay for them, using our money,” testified Koros.
He said that his daughter got no acceptance letter from Northern Lights College, and he got agitated because the information they were receiving was not enough.
“When we complained, the county officials urged us to write refund letters. I did, but up to date, I have not been refunded,” testified Koros.
Christine Linchuni, an Administrator at the University of Eldoret, testified that her son approached her for the overseas programme.
She said she deposited Sh10,000 in August 2022, and her son Titus Murimi was enrolled.
“On October 28, 2022, I paid Sh500,000 at the county’s overseas trust fund account. On October 31, 2022, I paid Sh80,000, and on January 18, 2023, I paid Sh122,000. In total I paid Sh1.07 million,” she testified.
Linchuni said that the programme she was promised would commence after a three-month delay, and she pressed the county officials for answers.
She testified that she was shocked when she got the information that the money had been paid to other students.
“When new Governor Jonathan Bii took over from current Senator Jackson Mandago, he said he did not do anything about the programme, but later confirmed money was paid to cater for students who were abroad,” testified Linchuni.
READ: Mandago offered to sell land to refund Sh1.1b education scam victims, court told
She testified that she asked for a refund in May 2023, but to date, she has not been refunded.
Robert Gathuita testified that he paid Sh918,000 to facilitate the studies of his daughter Milka Nduta at Laurea University in Finland.
Gathuita said that he deposited Sh9,000 for registration, and on April 20, 2022, he paid Sh500,000.
“On May 27, 2022 I paid Sh200,000, and on June 20, 2022, I paid Sh218,000 for my daughter to do nursing in Finland,” he testified.
However, he said that the programme faced problems, and when they went to seek answers, they were told that the money had been used to pay students who were abroad.
The evidence of the victims was corroborated by that of Former Deputy Governor John Barorot, who testified in September 2024.
In his testimony, Barorot, who led a team to investigate the saga, admitted that money was paid to students who were in Canada and Finland after their parents refused to do so.
Mandago is charged with conspiracy, stealing the Sh1.1 billion, forgery, and abuse of office alongside county officials Meshack Rono and Joshua Lelei. They have denied the charges.
The case continues today (Friday).
dchege@standardmedia.co.ke